Farringdon is a small village in Hampshire, about four miles south of the town of Alton
on the A32, Fareham road.
The village is in two parts, Lower and Upper Farringdon,
linked by Shirnall Hill,
a tree covered lane that rises from the east side
of the A32.
A note for any of you researching your family history:
Prior to the late 1800's Farringdon was generally spelt with one 'R' in official registries, which can lead to confusion with the town
of Faringdon, in Oxfordshire, there are also two other Farringdons in the UK, another village, in Devon and a borough in Islington, London.
In preparation for the installation of
two defibrillators in the village.
two training sessions for volunteers have been arranged:
Full Details on the News Page
Village Coffee Morning
Saturday 7th April
in All Saints Church
Full Details on the
Next Scheduled Meeting of
7:30 pm in
The Golden Pheasant
Saints Church supplies the spiritual needs of the residents and, in the absence
Village Hall, is also used for some public meetings and Village events,
The Harvest Loaf () was baked for the
Annual Harvest Festival Service
held on October 1st.
Thanks to Gill Pears, more pictures of the Harvest Festival Decorations can be found on the Church Page
|Minutes etc of previous Meetings can be accessed from the Parish Page
Keep up to date with
Farringdon Womens Institute activities on the W.I. page
Folly is a brickwork confection which was constructed over a long period by three workmen, overseen
by the 'eccentric' Reverend Thomas Massey, Vicar
of Farringdon from 1875 -1919.
Until the end of July 2015, the village hall occupied the Eastern part of the Folly
and was used by
a number of organisations
from within and well beyond the village boundaries.
The Western half of the Folly(to the left of the picture), served as
the Village Primary School until 1987 and was sold off after the school
Farringdon Children now attend Chawton or Selborne school.
At various times the West end of the Folly served as commercial premises and a Nursery School, although it had been
unoccupied for some time before the building was sold in 2015
Despite its listed status, The Folly faced an uncertain future as a Village Hall due to financial cost of maintaining the structure.
The Village Hall Management Committee eventually sold Massey's Folly for conversion into apartments and
The Folly was officially handed over
to the new owners at the end of July 2015.
No reconstruction work has taken place as yet but work on the conversion of the Folly is due to
begin now the extremely slow planning process is completed
Last, but by no means least, until February 18th Farringdon had two Village Pubs one at each end of the village,
Golden Pheasant, () can be found on the west side of the
A32, Gosport Road, in Lower Farringdon serving a wide selection of Real Ales and Lagers and excellent home cooked food in the restaurant
The Rose and Crown is now open - For a while we were down to one pub as the Rose closed down on February 18th 2017.
Now privately owned the Pub has been extensively refurbished and the
Bar reopened on the 22nd December
The Restaurant opening has been resheduled to the 12th Jan.
Village News and other information can be accessed via the buttons on the left hand side of the page.
© Farringdon Biz MM